Saturday, December 25, 2010
Saturday, December 18, 2010
There are many Bot-nets that are causing problems on Internet such as Kneber, Rustock and Koobface, Zues Trojan: these bots and infected systems send out spam and malware compromising mail servers and web sites. Cyber criminals use these tools / programs to make money spreading infectious programs as fast as possible to many victims. Once enough system are infected and controlled, these systems are actually rented out for $9 - $65 per hour.
Kneber: has infected 75,000 systems around the world. This malware is used to steal passwords from Facebook, Yahoo, and other sites. The key piece of data being collected is log in credentials to online financial systems, social networking sites, and email systems.
Based on a security study, over a week period of time, 68,000 credentials were stolen from Facebook and Yahoo among others. Many times surveillance is conducted on victims to determine crimes committed.
Here is a listing of money making scams:
1. Bank scam – looking for users to provide bank account number to claim lost funds (Nigerian royalty, China, etc)
2. Stranded SOS message -- family member email address used to request money be sent via Western Union
3. Cyber Attack threat “DOS attack” threat to force you out of business bring down all communication, pay demand
4. Steal game assets online gambling attack while stealing credentials and assets
5. Fake Anti-virus software – pop up requesting users to buy A-V making crooks 160 million per year
6. Fake Pharmaceuticals – user buys drugs which are fake 3.5 million per year
7. Credit card theft user receives fake link as for credit card information, credit card number is used or sold
8. Bank Zeus Trojan clicking on malware link infect browser Trojan captures log in credentials and steal small amounts of money
Even though the scams are old, they still cause many problems on networks and over the Internet. Check my solution to these problems to come!